RestExpert uses cookie technology and writes technical information from your browser to server logs: IP address and visited pages. This information will not allow us to identify you, but it can help us improve the site.
Pedestrian Tsvetnoy Boulevard with an amusement park was opened in Tyumen in 2004. The circus building is located in the northern corner of the park. In front of it one can see the bronze figures of the most beloved Soviet clowns: Yuri Nikulin, Karandash and Oleg Popov. A pony sculpture is behind them, and it is believed that if one makes a wish and rubs the pony's forehead, it will come true.
The Tobolsk Kremlin is the only stone Kremlin in the territory of Siberia. This impressive fortress appeared on the bank of the Irtysh River in the 1690s, following the Sofia-Uspensky (Assumption) Cathedral the first stone church in Siberia.
The Leaning Tower of Nevyansk is one of the attractions of the Urals, an analogue of the famous Leaning Tower of Pisa. It was built in the first half of the XVIII century on the orders of the industrialist Akinfy Demidov, an unlimited owner of these places. Inside the tower consists of several floors. It is known that Demidov's study was on the second floor, and the third one housed a laboratory where silver and gold work was carried out (rumor has it that Demidov minted counterfeit coin here). A chiming clock, made by a watchmaker Richard Phelps in 1730, is installed on the seventh and eighth floors of the tower.
"Vysotsky" skyscraper and business center was the highest building in Yekaterinburg until recently. Its height is 188.3 meters and it has 54 floors. "Vysotsky" was considered the highest building not only in Yekaterinburg, but also in Russia (excluding Moscow) before the construction of the skyscraper "Iset". Moreover, "Vysotsky" is the northernmost skyscraper in the world. It is named after Vladimir Vysotsky, a famous poet, actor and musician. This particular name was chosen by citizens for the building as a result of the competition for a new name for the city attraction. The skyscraper was opened by the actor’s son Nikita Vysotsky.
"Ganina Yama" (“Ganya’s Pit”) is a direful and sad place. It is here where members of the royal Romanov family, killed on the night of 16 July, 1918, were first buried. It is known that the night after the first burial the Bolsheviks relocated the bodies to another area, however, the "Ganina Yama" has remained a place of pilgrimage for devotees of the last of the Romanovs.
The embankment of River Tura with lanterns, sculptures and benches is one of the most popular places in the center of Tyumen. The embankment has an unusual four-level design. It was designed in such a way because during the floods Tura often floods the lower two levels. The levels are made of granite. And the cascade of fountains unites all levels in one point. Now the embankment is planned to expand up to 4 km from the mouth of the Babarynka River to the wharf.
In 1616 a monk from Kazan Nifont founded the Transfiguration, now the Holy Trinity Monastery on the bank of the Tura River. By the strength of three monks and peasant assistants, a wooden Spaso-Preobrazhenskaya church, cells for monks and hegumen were placed on a high promontory. By the beginning of the XVIII century the church burned down and the monastery fell into decay. The revival of the monastery in Tyumen is connected with the Metropolitan of Tobolsk Philotheus, who obtained permission from Peter the Great to build a stone cathedral and even received money from the treasury. Philotheus was born in Ukraine and attracted the Kiev master hands for the construction of the cathedral, so the cathedral was built in the style of the Ukrainian baroque. Five-domed Trinity Cathedral was opened in 1715.
Znamensky Cathedral in Tyumen is considered to be one of the best examples of baroque in the territory of Siberia. In addition, it is the official residence of the Metropolitan of Tobolsk. The wooden church appeared here in the middle of the XVII century in honor of the icon of Our Lady of the Sign “Znameniye”. It was painted in the 1620s and is considered to be the first primordially Siberian Orthodox icon. Although the church was twice (in 1697 and in 1766) destroyed by the fire, the icon did not suffer.
Pedestrian Street Kirovka is the oldest street in Chelyabinsk. Transportation from it was removed in 2004. At the same time the avenue received its modern name, the fifth one after being the Ufimskaya, Yekaterinburgskaya, Raboche-Krestianskaya and Kirovskaya Street. There are old merchant houses of the late XIX - early XX century along the street as well as the oldest cinema of the city "Znamya".
The Literary Quarter of Yekaterinburg is the official name of the United Museum of Urals Writers. This is a large museum complex, which joins together the names of several writers who lived and worked in the Urals. The decision of its foundation was made in 1980. The museum complex includes D. Mamin-Sibiryak's Literary and Memorial House Museum, P.P. Bazhov House Museum, the “Literary Life of the Urals in the 19th Century” Museum and many others, as well as the Chamber Theatre. The houses of writers from different parts of Yekaterinburg and even the region were transferred to one place within the concept of the museum quarter.
The village of Nizhnyaya Sinyachikha in Sverdlovsk region is famous for its unique wooden architectural complex. The village was founded in 1680. This is one of the oldest Russian villages in the Urals. In the 1970s, its resident Ivan Danilovich Samoylov turned on the heat to gather the monuments of wooden Russian architecture, scattered throughout the Urals, in his motherland.
The Abalak Holy Znamensky Monastery is located on the bank of the Irtysh River 30 kilometers south of Tobolsk in the village of Abalak. It was founded in 1783 by the order of Empress Catherine the Great. In such a way the Russians gradually conquered the Tatar lands, strengthening the positions won in 1584 by the Cossack army of the conqueror of Siberia Yermak. The first building of the monastery was the wooden church of the Sign which was built here in 1636. The miraculous icon Znameniye (Our Lady of the Sign) was specially painted for the temple. A stone church of the Sign of the Most Holy Theotokos was built later, in 1691.