The name - Zachatyevsky Monastery - is first encountered in the chronicles of the 14th century. However, the present monastery was founded in 1584 by Tsar Fyodor Ioannovich. In Soviet times almost all the monastery buildings were looted and destroyed. Only the Church of the Savior Not Made by Hands survived and preserved the architectural appearance of the XVII-XVIII centuries. This temple was considered a "house" for the Rimsky-Korsakov family, and today there is a family vault of the famous family here.
After oblivion the main cathedral of the Nativity of the Virgin was rebuilt in Zachatyevsky Monastery and re-consecrated in 2010. Here one can see the stone floor brought from the Holy Land, a museum and an ossuary in a basement and a bell-tower in the Pskov-Novgorod style with the working chimes.