Voronezh Regional Art Museum is named in honor of Ivan Kramskoy, the famous Russian portrait painter of the XIX century, who was born in Voronezh Governorate. The museum collection is located in the governor's estate of the late 18th century. This three-story baroque mansion is called the Voronezh Palace in the city. Emperor Nicholas II also took part in the arrangement of the museum: in 1911 he handed over the former governor's house to the governorate museum, which was later renamed as Art Museum.
Voronezh Regional Art Museum has an extensive collection. Here you can find ancient Egyptian statuettes and antique ceramics of the IX–VIII centuries BC. European art is represented by medieval paintings: “Christ” by Michael Ostendorfer (1530); a French copy of the "Adoration of the Magi" by da Fabriano (XVIII century), stored in the Uffizi Gallery; a series of Dutch still-life paintings of the XVII century. But the pivot of the entire exposition is Russian art. The museum displays the portraits of Bryullov, Tropinin, Kramskoy, landscapes of Aivazovsky and Roerich.