The Tula State Museum of Weapons is one of the oldest weapons museums in Russia. And this is not surprising: Till the XVII century Tula served as the main defensive line of Russia's southern borders, and therefore local smiths specialized mainly in weapons. The museum was created under Catherine II. And the basis of its exposition are the products of the Tula Arms Plant founded by Peter the Great!
After its establishment at the plant in 1775, the weapons museum did not last long: in 14 years the Empress Catherine II ordered to transport the entire collection of the museum to the Armoury Chamber in Moscow. The museum was revived only in 1873 when the collection of weapons was returned from Moscow and supplemented with new exhibits from the local plant. A century later the collection was so great that it could no longer be placed in the plant, and it was moved to the building of the former Epiphany Cathedral in the Tula Kremlin. In 2012 a significant part of the exposition moved to the new building of the museum. The core of the collection are the weapons created not only in Tula over the past centuries, but also the Western European weapon. These are knives and armor, which were in service with the Russian army, combat, sports, hunting weapons of different eras, guns and machine guns, rocket launcher systems Grad and Uragan and tanks.