The Church of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin is special for Tula because of the two reasons: it is the oldest Orthodox church in the city and the only surviving architectural monument of the 17th century. Five-domed tent temple with a patterned brick cornice on the facade attracts the attention both of citizens and tourists.
The exact date of the construction of the Church of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin, which was wooden till the end of the XVII century, is unknown. In 1692 it was rebuilt in stone, and for the next century it changed its appearance. In 1858 there was a fire near the church that subsided, as soon as the Iberian Icon of the Mother of God was brought to the fire. After that the church had a new chapel in honor of this icon. During the first 15 years of Soviet power the church worked as usual, then it was used as a grocery storehouse, but already in the 1960s it was recognized as a monument of history and architecture, and they started restoring it. In 1990 the church was returned to the faithful.