The Michael the Archangel Cathedral or the Cathedral of the Archangel Michael is one of the most interesting in the Nizhny Novgorod Kremlin. It was built in the XVII century and it was the first stone church in the city. Till now it is considered one of the brightest examples of hip-roofed architecture.
The first church in the place of the present cathedral in the Kremlin was built in 1221. It was rebuilt in the XIV century. The construction of the present Michael the Archangel Cathedral began in 1628. It was erected in memory of the Nizhny Novgorod Kuzma Minin's militia, who especially distinguished during the Troubles of 1612-1613. In 1704 the cathedral was seriously damaged during the fire, but was completely restored. Unlike other religious buildings in Nizhny Novgorod, the Michael the Archangel Cathedral was very lucky in the Soviet era. It was not destroyed. Moreover, in the mid-sixties of the 20th century restoration work was carried out on its territory. At the same time, the remains of the merchant Kuzma Minin, who played an important role in the struggle against the Polacks in 1613, were transferred here. In the 90-ies of the twentieth century the church was transferred to the Russian Orthodox Church. In 2009 a bell "Zakonnik" weighting 530 kg was installed on the bell tower.