The Catholic Parish Assumption of the Virgin Mary is the third Catholic church in Nizhny Novgorod. Catholics in this city began to appear in the XVII century, but the first church here was built only in the middle of the XIX century. The initiators of its construction were French merchants, participants in the traditional Nizhny Novgorod fair. Later after the war of 1812 a number of French prisoners that remained in the city were also pleased with the Catholic community. However, that first Catholic church in the city did not survive: in the 30s of the 20th century it was blown up.
The second Catholic church in Nizhny Novgorod arose in 1914. But because of the subsequent revolutionary events, it was not possible to complete its construction. It was quickly rebuilt in accordance with the needs of the era and a center of scientific and technical information housed in the building. Only in 1997 the Catholic community of Nizhny Novgorod opened a new temple located in the former stables near the center. But this was only a temporary refuge. In 2004 the Catholics of Nizhny Novgorod received at their disposal a historic building "The Manor of the merchant Shchelokov." The building was subsequently expanded, and now the Catholic Parish Assumption of the Virgin Mary Russia in Nizhny Novgorod looks quite finished.