The foundation of the Cathedral of Christ the Savior was laid on Victory Square in Kaliningrad in 1955. This was a special moment in the life of the city, as it became here the first temple built according to all the rules and traditions of Russian Orthodox architecture. After all, the Russian Orthodox Church officially came to this land only in 1985, and all the first parishes were housed in Lutheran churches.
In the Cathedral of Christ the Savior the Memel iconostasis is very much interesting. It was created in St. Petersburg for the Transfiguration Church in Memel (now Klaipeda) in the 1760s, when Koenigsberg was part of the Russian Empire. In 2010 the temple of Peter and Fevronia, patrons of family life, was added to the cathedral complex. Outwardly the temple seems to consist of two identical parts which merge together. Especially this motif is noticeable in the double dome. The temple of Peter and Fevronia became in due course a popular place for weddings.