Tara Gates are one of the most recognizable symbols of Omsk. They are part of the historical and cultural complex of Omsk Fortress. They are most often portrayed on various souvenirs. Tara Gates were erected in 1792. They got their name because they opened on Tara Tract leading to Tara city. Tara Gates were the highest of the four gates of the second Omsk Fortress. They had a separate guard house of two rooms.
The more than a hundred years’ history of Tara Gates is full notable events. On January 23, 1850, Fyodor Dostoevsky was taken to prison in one of two horse-drawn sledges passing through the gates. The Soviet government didn’t idolize the monument. In winter 1959 the gates were demolished. Scientists and the public only saved a slate slab with the inscription "Tarski, 1792". Many years later, in 1991, Tara Gates were restored when Omsk celebrated its 275th anniversary. There is a garden square near the gates, where citizens like walking. Omsk residents believe a token: a wish, made while passing through Tara Gates, will be granted.