The Suzdal Kremlin is the main attraction of the town and its oldest part that exists since the 10th century. The fortress, which protected the prince's court and the cathedral, was surrounded by earth ramparts. And although not all buildings in the Kremlin have survived to this day, it is recognized as one of the most important monuments of Old Russian architecture and is named a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The first building in the territory of the Suzdal Kremlin was the wooden Church of the Assumption. After its collapse, the Cathedral of the Nativity was built in this place in 1225. It was erected on a powerful foundation using a unique technology of bricks lined with limestone. The walls are decorated with a carved ornament and frescoes of the XVII century. The main attraction of the cathedral are the Golden Gates of the 13th century, covered with black copper plates with golden drawings themed on the Gospel. In the XIX century an original bowl for holy water in the form of a samovar appeared in the cathedral.Inside the walls of the Suzdal Kremlin, worth a look are the Bishops' Chambers. They appeared in the 15th century and acquired a modern look in the late 17th century. Eye-catching is the ceremonial Chamber of the Chrism with nine-meter arches without pillars. The center of the chamber features a bishopstool, a table with writing implements, a wardrobe and a chest of the XVIII century. This room was used to receive visitors, issue decrees and celebrate holidays. Now it houses a Museum of History, Art and Architecture devoted to the history of Suzdal from the 12th to the 19th centuries. The Church of the Annunciation of the Bishops' Chambers contains icons of the 15th-17th centuries. In 1635 a bell tower was erected on the south side of the Cathedral of the Nativity. Inside it there is the last preserved in Russia Jordanian canopy of the XVII century: a tent in the temple style, which according to Russian tradition was placed on the Feast of Baptism at the font for the patriarch and the nobility. In 1960, the Church of St. Nicholas, completely built of wood in 1766, was brought to the Suzdal Kremlin from the Yuriev-Polsky District.