The first State Museum of Russian Fine Art was opened in Russia by order of Nicholas II in 1898. The museum has collected more than 400 thousand exhibits. They cover all mainstreams of Russian art from the IX century to the present day. Each of the buildings, which house the museum collections, is recognized the monument of art.
The main building of the State Russian Museum, the Mikhailovsky Palace, houses the Old Russian, folk, as well as Applied and Decorative Arts and Russian paintings of the XVIII-XX centuries (Borovitsky, Aivazovsky, Bryullov, Repin, Surikov, Vrubel, Malevich, and dozens of other painters). The Benois Wing contains works of art of the late XIX-early XXI centuries and temporary exhibitions. The Stroganov Palace is an exhibition of minerals and the Stroganovs family heirlooms, displayed in the rooms with original furnishings. The Marble Palace should be visited for the exposition "Foreign Artists in Russia of the XVIII - the first half of the XIX century", which presents the Western masters who influenced the development of Russian art. The Mikhailovsky Castle is imperial apartments, a hall of antiques and Raphael’s gallery. The Summer Palace of Peter the Great stores a collection of his personal belongings and applied art of his era. The State Russian Museum also includes the Summer Garden and the Mikhailovsky Garden and several other buildings.