St. Peter and Paul Cathedral in Sevastopol opened the doors for the first parishioners in 1844. It was erected on the site of the wooden church of Saints Peter and Paul of the XVIII century, which in 1837 was destroyed by a violent storm. The construction of the new church was led by Admiral Lazarev who was fond of ancient architecture. Therefore the cathedral looks unusual for the Orthodox Church. The fact that the classical building with columns of limestone belongs to the Orthodox faith is shown only by the Orthodox cross on a triangular pediment. Sculptures of the apostles Peter and Paul were installed in front of the church. Unfortunately, they were taken out by the French army during the Crimean War (1853-1856), and now there are only replicas here.
Rising above the city the St.Peter and Paul Cathedral has always been an ideal target for enemies. However, after each military campaign the city again and again restored the temple. In 1931 the cathedral was closed, and in 1946 the building was given to an archive. Later even the theater after Lunacharsky housed it. Only in 2006 the cathedral again started functioning as a cathedral.