The story of the Shheglovskiy Monastery of Holy Mother of God began with the appearance of the house of the bishop on the outskirts of Tula at the beginning of the XIX century. Half a century later a Moscow merchant donated money to build a monastery in this house.
In 1860 the Cathedral Church was laid, dedicated to the icon of the Mother of God «Nursing the Child», later the chapel of the Assumption of the Mother of God appeared, and by the end of the decade a monastery was established at this place. It was named Shheglovskiy, since it was located near Shcheglovsky outpost. Inspired by the opening of the monastery, one of the builders took tonsure, traveled to Mount Athos and brought the relics of several saints, a piece of stone from the Holy Sepulcher and other shrines from there. The monastery prospered and provided itself thanks to the bakery, an apiary, ponds with fish and a garden. After the revolution of 1917 the monastery was closed, the shrines were lost. In 1991 the monastery was returned to the church. Today it is open for visiting. A lot of people visit this place especially in late spring and summer when the territory of the monastery turns into a blossoming corner.