The Intercession Cathedral owes its appearance to a lucky circumstance in the life of merchant Kuzma Karpov. He won 100 thousand rubles in a lottery in the late 19th century and decided to spend the money on construction of a church in Gatchina. For one hundred years of its existence the church survived two world wars and closing, however, it could preserve its existence and was returned to believers.
Merchant Karpov donated not only money for the construction of the temple, but also a wooden two-storey house, on the site of which the church was built. He also presented the church with his icon of Intercession of the Mother of God. The cathedral was built in 1914. Following the example of the merchant, other residents of Gatchina also donated money for the temple, and novices of the Pyatigorsk Monastery, for which the church was built, created a few icons for it. The First World War and subsequent events precluded from completing the finishing of the cathedral: the facade was finally plastered only in our time. Its bright blue domes are also a modern solution. In 1929, the Pokrovsky metochion of the monastery was closed. The services in the cathedral were resumed as late as in 1990. Today it is the largest church in the Leningrad Region, consecrated in honor of the Mother of God.