Porkhov Fortress, built at the beginning of the 14th century, has not been used since the 15th century, and is therefore well preserved. It is interesting as a unique monument of military architecture. Here, for example, one can see how the medieval fortification structure «zahab» looked like (from Old Russian — «sleeve»). This is a narrow corridor, usually connecting the outer and inner gates of the fortress. By the form it really looks like a sleeve. If the attackers managed to break through the outer gates, they were trapped under the crossfire of the defenders of the fortress and usually suffered heavy losses.
In the northeast corner of the Porkhov Fortress is the Church of St. Nicholas built in the first variant in 1412. The present building of the temple was built in 1770 on the old foundation. An unusual detail: the bell tower of the church is installed on the fortress tower. A similar construction is only in Rostov. In 1991 the church was returned to the believers, and since that time divine services have been held there again.There are several museums on the territory of the fortress. The Local History Museum will help you learn more about Porkhov’s glorious past and present. Another museum is dedicated to the history of the Porkhov Post Office — Museum of Porkhov Post Office. It was founded in 1784 by the decree of Empress Catherine II, who did a lot for the development of Porkhov. Here one can find interesting details about the history of Russian post in general.Another attraction of the fortress is a bust, installed by the centenary of Boris Petrovich Kalachev. Agronomist by profession, he headed the Botanical Gardens on the territory of the fortress, and during the Great Patriotic War he headed the anti-fascist underground movement in Porkhov. There is a legend that when he was captured, Kalachev in prison poisoned himself by the root of aconite, a poisonous plant, in order to avoid a public execution that could demoralize underground activists remaining in liberty. Another monument to this heroic man can be called a «path of health» — a path about 10 meters long, laid directly on the territory of the fortress. On both sides of the trail a variety of medicinal plants are planted, including aconite.The City Days are celebrated in the fortress every year. One of the brightest events of the holiday is a theatrical performance usually with the participation of the local choir.