Nakhimov Square is a historical place for Sevastopol. It was around this square, earlier Ekaterininskaya, in 1783 the first houses in the city were built. The dominant of the modern square is a monument to Admiral Nakhimov who died in the defense of the city in 1855. The opening of the sculpture in 1898 was attended by Emperor Nicholas II. In 1928 the monument was demolished, and in 1959 it was rebuilt with minor changes (instead of a saber the admiral now holds a telescope).
In addition to the monument on Nakhimov Square there is a memorial to the heroic defense of Sevastopol 1941 - 1942: Eternal flame and plates with the names of 54 soldiers - Heroes of the Soviet Union recalling the tragic days of the war. During the Crimean War there was a hospital in this place where the Russian surgeon and anatomist, the founder of the military field surgery and anesthesiology Nikolai Pirogov operated. From the square of Nakhimov one can see the colonnade of the Grafskaya Wharf. The first berth for boats was built on this place in 1783. A wide staircase with stairs of Inkerman stone was made here by the arrival of Catherine the Great. In future the commander of the squadron of Sevastopol Count M. Voinovich actively used the harbor and instead of the Catherine's Wharf it became known as the Grafskaya. In 1846 the wharf was restored in antique style and has survived to this day in this form.