The Malakhov Kurgan (Barrow) 97 meters high rises above Sevastopol on the Korabelnaya Storona (one of the districts of Sevastopol). It was named after Captain Malakhov, whose house stood at the foot of the mound. This mound went down in history as a place of bloody battles in the defense of Sevastopol during the Crimean War of 1853-1856. It was here that Vice Admiral Kornilov and Admiral Nakhimov were killed. The battle for the height also happened during the Second World War. In 1942 the mound was stormed by German fascist troops. During the defense more than half of the 111th battery under the command of Lieutenant-Commander Matyukhin were killed.
The central entrance to the memorial complex "Malakhov Kurgan" is decorated with a restored portico of 1905. On the mound there is a monument to Admiral Kornilov who heroically defended the area in October 1854. A cross of cannonballs, indicating the place of death of the admiral, is laid nearby on the ground. In 1958 a park was built on the Malakhov Kurgan. Here the almond tree has survived since the Great Patriotic War. Now the surviving ship cast iron cannons of the middle of the XIX century are exhibited in the alleys. The mound has a beautiful view of the center of Sevastopol. A stone defensive tower stands in the far corner of the park. In the 1940s the command post of Matyukhin's battery was located on this site. In 1958 the Eternal Fire was lit on the tower - the second in the USSR and the third in the world. In 1989 the fire was removed. There is an exhibition in the tower devoted to the military history of the mound.