Yusupov Palace is known as a place of murder of Rasputin rather than a historical monument. As historians say, Prince Felix Yusupov, with the conspirators, allured the imperial family’s favorite into the palace basement and dealt away with him. However, the palace deserves attention also out of context of this historic event.
This house not always belonged to the Yusupovs: in the XVIII century the building on the Moika was owned by Count Shuvalov, then by the niece of Prince Potemkin, and from 1830 to 1917 it was the property of five generations of the Yusupov princes. They rebuilt the building into a real palace, with a banquet hall, art gallery, grand staircase, greenhouses, gardens and a home theatre, where the first act of the opera "A Life for the Tsar" was staged for the first time. In 1890s the palace obtained electricity and sewerage. In Soviet times, the Yusupov Palace served as a museum, a type of a clubhouse for the city’s teacher, a Palace of Culture for Educators and a military hospital. Today it is one of the few mansions in the city which has preserved state rooms, living quarters and a lot of luxury original furnishings that belonged to one of the richest families of Russia. The palace also hosts concerts, weddings and diplomatic meetings. The garden at the palace is re-opened to the public.