The Iversky Convent arouse in 1860 from the community of Sisters of Mercy. By the early twentieth century there lived about 400 novices, who worked in the convent hospital, school and workshops. It is of interest to note that this is the monastery where one of the Bulgarian Army symbols was embroidered – the Samara flag, with which the Bulgarians fought during the Russo-Turkish war. After the revolution, the Iversky Convent, having been deprived of all the values, was reorganized into a tailor shop. In 1925 the convent ceased to exist: its bell tower and one of the churches, the Assumption Church, were destroyed. The remaining buildings were used as a dwelling.
The Iversky Convent reconstruction work started in 1992, with the restoration of its temples and cemetery. The nuns were allocated lands to the extent of a tenth of its former possession. Today, the Convent houses iconographic and gold-embroidery shops, as well as stores the icon of Our Lady of Jerusalem, presented by Patriarch Alexy II, and the relics of a locally venerated saint Alexander Chagrinsky. But the main attraction of the Convent is the bell tower. Its bells are operated by electronic chimes, which, in turn, can be controlled by a novice-bell ringer through a mobile phone!