The Holy Voskresensko-Germanovsky Cathedral is the only surviving temple of the old Simbirsk, though incompletely: in Soviet times its bell tower was destroyed, and the building was given to the Ulyanovsk archives.
The history of the Holy Voskresensko-Germanovsky Cathedral began in the 17th century when Metropolitan Marcellus of Kazan arrived in Simbirsk, having brought with him the icon of German the Wonderworker and his relics, and blessed the residents of Simbirsk with these shrines. A chapel was erected at this place in 1677, and in the late 18th century a wooden three-altar church of St. German appeared, where the icon of the saint was placed. In the XIX century the church became five-altar and then was rebuilt and equipped with a bell tower, with one of the bells weighing 11 tons. The new church was built from a red brick, alternating with a white Vyatka stone. In the 1930s, the bell tower was destroyed, and the church was rebuilt once again – this time for the archives. The restoration of the temple began only in 2007, when the building was handed over to the Simbirsk Diocese and was granted the status of a cathedral. The cathedral acquired its pre-revolutionary look in June 30, 2012, when the domes and the cross were raised to the reconstructed bell tower.