The Historical Boulevard was built in Sevastopol in the 1880s on the site of the Bolshoy Boulevard where during the Crimean War (1853-1856) one of the defensive lines was located. The marble bas-relief reminds that a 26-year-old Count Leo Tolstoy who later wrote «Sevastopol Stories», was at war here.
On the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the defense in 1905 iron cannons of that time were installed in memory of the war on the Historical Boulevard, a stone arbor in the shape of a mushroom was restored and the panorama "The Defense of Sevastopol in 1854 - 1855" with a giant picture depicting the Battle of Malakoff was opened. In front of the panorama one can see the collection of anchors of Russian, English, French and Turkish ships raised from the bottom of the bay. Later in 1909 a bronze monument was erected to engineer Eduard Totleben in the center of the boulevard. It is known that the bastions created by him played a great part in the defense of Sevastopol in 1854 - 1855. In 1933 an amusement park appeared on the Historical Boulevard. During the Great Patriotic War the ensemble of the boulevard was badly damaged. The destroyed building of the panorama was restored in 1956. And in 1983 a monument to Admiral Fyodor Ushakov was erected at the cross road of the Historical Boulevard and Gogol Street.