The Golden Gate, a monument of ancient Russian architecture, was built in Vladimir in the 12th century for the defense and for the solemn entry of princes into the city. The gilded gate leaves disappeared in 1238 when preparing for the attack of the Mongol-Tatar army the townspeople hid all the values. The mystery of the location of the Golden Gate has not yet been resolved, and it has entered the UNESCO World Heritage List as a lost masterpiece. Today travelers can see the result of the gate's reconstruction in the late XVIII century.
Now a museum exposition, dedicated to the military history of the city, is located in the gate church of the Golden Gate. The main exhibit of the museum is a diorama of the storming of Vladimir by the troops of Batu Khan in 1238. The Golden Gate then stood firm, but was seriously damaged. A collection of weapons and armor is kept in the museum located in the Golden Gate: starting from the XIII century crossbow, the XVII century crossbow, the XIX century cuirasses, the captured trophies of the Turks of the mid-19th century, up to the most massive weapons of the Second World War – Shpagin submachine gun, which was produced in Kovrov, Vladimir Oblast. The gallery of Vladimir heroes is dedicated to the natives of the city, which awarded the title of the Hero of the Soviet Union during the Great Patriotic War. The uniform of a commander of a nuclear submarine and the cosmonaut's spacesuit «tells» about the post-war residents of Vladimir.