The history of the Epiphany Monastery is associated with mysteries and legends. Even the date of its origin is unknown. Only a period from the XIV to the XVI century is mentioned. However, it is precisely known that the monastery already existed in the late 16th century and was located on the territory of the Kremlin and not where it is today. In the middle of the XVII century it was transferred to the present place, and by 1700 its first stone Epiphany Church appeared. Centuries later, it assumed a new name in honor of the Smolensk Icon of the Mother of God. A mosaic copy of this icon is on the facade, near the altar part. The green tile of the church domes is an element of original decoration found during the restoration in the 20th century.
Fedorovskaya Church, located in the territory of the Epiphany Monastery, is known in the town by mysterious paintings in the blue palette. According to guides, the frescoes do not disappear over time but brighten up. The main shrine of the church is Feodorovskaya Icon of the Mother of God: the childless couples who dream of progeny pray to it.The large-scale Epiphany Cathedral was built in the middle of the XIX century upon the project of Konstantin Thon, the architect who created the Moscow Cathedral of Christ the Saviour. The cathedral creation history is associated with a romantic legend. It stands in the place of an orchard belonging to the Butorin family. Once in spring Praskovya Butorina saw three white swans in the garden, and this recurred for several years. When the land was sold to the monastery, the Mother Superior learned about this legend and considered it a sky-sign. The altars of the cathedral are located at the very place where the swans were walking. This church in the Russian-Byzantine style is visible from afar thanks to the bright blue domes decorated with stars.