In 1901 Moscow merchant Grigory Eliseev opened a luxurious Eliseevsky store at the corner of Tverskaya Street and Kozitsky lane. The grocery store was located in a historical building of the XVIII century and became famous for its rich interiors in neo-baroque style and for exotic goods and wines.
In 2003 the Eliseevsky store or Gastronome No. 1, as it was called in Soviet times, experienced a large-scale restoration according to the original drawings. Today one can see copies of crystal chandeliers in the form of vines, stucco molding and gilded column caps, an original mahogany counter and a fully recreated wine department.
The store is loved both by Moscow residents and guests of the city. They come here to enjoy the atmosphere of the merchant grocery of the beginning of the XX century, stock up on exclusive handmade chocolate and taste dishes of Russian cuisine in the cooking department, such as Moscow borscht, sturgeon or tomatoes in aspic pickled with nuts.