The first stone of the future Dormition Cathedral was laid by Tsesarevich Nicholas Alexandrovich during his visit to Omsk in 1891 as an heir to the Russian crown. But that temple was not preserved. A replica of that cathedral, restored in 2007 now stands in the city. Back in the XIX century, the plan for building the majestic temple in Russian-Byzantine style was based on the project of the Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood in St. Petersburg. Initially it was planned to devote the future temple to the Ascension, but in 1895 the Orthodox diocese was established in Omsk and decided to call the cathedral in honour of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
The total construction and furnishing cost of the Dormition Cathedral made up 125 thousand Rubles. Most of the funds were raised by donations of city citizens, representatives of local merchants and Emperor Nicholas II. He also donated valuable utensils to the temple. The consecration took place on September 9, 1898. The fate of the cathedral was tragic in the Soviet era. In 1933, the utensils of the temple were transferred to the museum of atheism, from where it was subsequently irrevocably lost. In 1934, there was an idea to convert the temple into the Opera House. However, the lead engineer of the project was soon arrested and shot. As a result, in 1935 the cathedral was blown up. On the territory, Pioneers’ Garden was created, where every year Christmas or New Year shows are held for children. In 2005, Omsk’s authorities began restoration of the Dormition Cathedral. In 2007, the square on which it stands was renamed as Cathedral Square.