The history of Dmitrov began from the Dmitrov Kremlin. In 1154 the founder of Moscow Prince Yuri Dolgoruky built an ancient Slavic settlement fortress on the site and named it in honor of his son Dmitry. The fortress was destroyed seven times. Today the Dmitrov Kremlin consists of the remains of fortifications, the Cathedral of the Assumption and several buildings of the 19th and 20th centuries that are part of its ensemble.
The Dmitrov Kremlin has a hard fate. For the first time it was burned by the Kiev prince Sviatoslav in the 12th century, then by the Tatar-Mongols, and in 1610 when Rus was at war against Poland and the crisis of statehood was developing. The Kremlin was also fired by the warriors of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, and has not been restored since then.Today as part of the Dmitrov Kremlin there is a survived part of the fortress wall nearly one kilometer long and 7 to 9 meters high, created in the 12th-13th centuries. The territory, which used to be occupied by the Kremlin, has a museum-reserve of 12 buildings. The exposition covers different epochs and aspects of the history of the city. Here one can look at paintings, icon paintings, graphics, collections of porcelain, furniture, books and documents, weapons and other artifacts. The famous revolutionary and anarchist Peter Kropotkin took part in the creation of the museum. The exposition, arranged in the house where he spent the last years of his life, is devoted to him.Another part of the museum, the Cathedral of the Assumption, was built in the early 16th century with the participation of Italian craftsmen. The white-stone temple was originally erected as a five-domed church, and after the reconstruction in the XIX century it acquired four more domes at the corners, which gives the composition the appearance of a pyramid. Elements of the original exterior decoration of the church have been preserved: three tiled bas-reliefs depicting two crucifixions and St. George the Victorious. The ancient shrines of the temple were also survived: the icon of the XII century, the carved iconostasis of the XVIII century and the tent episcopal place decorated with carvings.