The Church on Blood is an Orthodox church, built on the site of execution of the imperial family. This is the site of the engineer Ipatiev House, in the basement of which Nicholas II, the last Emperor of Russia, members of his family and household were shot on the night of 16 July, 1918. The house stood in Yekaterinburg (or, rather in Sverdlovsk of those days) until 1977, after which the local government under the leadership of Boris Yeltsin, the first Secretary of CPSU Committee of Sverdlovsk Oblast (the future president of Russia) demolished the building.
In 1990, a memorial cross was installed on the site of the demolished Ipatiev House, and later a wooden chapel appeared there. Construction of a full-fledged temple began in 2000. Three years later the Church on Blood was solemnly consecrated. A five-domed church is of Russian-Byzantine style. Its height is 60 meters. A small museum is opened by the church, where you can learn more about the last days of Nicholas II and his family.