Church of the Holy Prince Alexander Nevsky is an evidence of the well-being of Nizhny Novgorod during the prosperity of the Makaryevskaya Fair. Merchants initiated the construction of the church. They were convinced that the fair needed its own fairground temple, and therefore they themselves collected money for its construction. The place for the church was chosen on Strelka. From this point a magnificent view of the Volga and the Oka opens.
The foundation of the Church of the Holy Prince Alexander Nevsky was laid in 1868. Among others, the author of the church project was a young architect Lev Dahl, the son of the famous Russian linguist Vladimir Dal. But his project was not approved. The consecration of the new church was solemn: in the presence of Emperor Alexander III, his wife Maria Feodorovna and the heir to the throne prince Nicholas. The church was opened in mid-July 1881. Its distinguishing feature was the seasonality of the work. After all, the fair worked only in the summer. In winter the church was closed to visitors as its premises were not heated. Another "zest" of the church is the icon of the Mother of God and the Life-giving Cross of the Lord - special relics that attracted the attention of believing merchants. In 1929 the church was closed. Its room was used for warehouses. Icons and valuables were confiscated. And all the wooden details that decorated the church were given to peasants for heating their houses. An anti-aircraft battery was installed on the bell-tower during the Second World War. At present the church with the restored interior resumed its work. The audience admires the wooden carvings and richly decorated with murals interior. In 2012 the bell «Soborny» was installed on the bell-tower. It is the third largest bell in Russia!