Church of the Nativity of the Most Holy Mother of God is sometimes called Stroganov church. It appeared in Nizhny Novgorod on Rozhdestvenskaya Street between 1696 and 1719. The construction was financed by the merchant Grigory Stroganov. Soon after the opening in 1722 the church was closed by the Emperor Peter the Great, who quarreled with a large family of the Stroganovs. But after Peter's death the church was reopened.
In the XIX century it became clear that due to mistakes made by builders the Church of Nativity of the Most Holy Mother of God was being heavily destroyed. So, they had to urgently carry out the reconstruction and strengthen the foundation. However, the Stroganov Church was repaired quite often because of the fires, after which the decoration of the church had to be restored again. Already in the Soviet era they wanted to demolish the church, but its former rector Father Sergius Veisov managed to prove that the building is an architectural monument of Stroganov's Baroque, and the church was left untouched. Services resumed in the 90 years of the XX century after regular repairs in the church.