The Church of St. John the Baptist was built on the Kamenny Island in 1778 to commemorate the victory of the Russian fleet over Turkish forces in Chesme Bay. That is why its second name is Chesme. To lay a temple, Catherine II invited the Swedish monarch Gustav III to remind him of the power of Russia. The Empress often visited this church where a royal place was reserved for her. It is this church, where Pushkin baptized his three children and Kutuzov prayed for the victory over the French.
The pseudo-Gothic Chesme Church is decorated with openwork, bas-reliefs, gabled towers and lancet windows. The church had a rich Italian iconostasis, but it was lost in a fire in 1930, when the church was already under the supervision of carpentry shops. Later the iconostasis was restored upon the survived sketches.