Chapaev Square was originally called Teatralnaya Square (Theatre Square), since there is a theatre on it, later it was named the Square of the Paris Communards; in 1918 it became a Red Square, and since 1932 it bears the name of the legendary commander Chapaev.
A massive 10-meter-high monument to Chapaev and his comrades appeared in Chapaev Square during the same year. The face of the commander was replicated from Chapaev’s son, Alexander. A copy of the monument stands in St. Petersburg in front of the Military Academy of Communications, as it was once ordered by Sergey Kirov. Until 1938, the area at the monument was a primary place for demonstrations and parades in the city. Adjacent to Chapaev square are the Strukovsky Garden, Stalin's Bunker and a viewing platform.