The Cathedral of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary near the Central Market in Rostov-on-Don is the third temple in this place. The first one, built under the same name in 1781, burned down 10 years later. The next church was erected in 1795. Thirty years later, it received the status of a cathedral church, and by the mid-19th century it was dilapidated. Just then the present-day building of the cathedral was built upon the project of Konstantin Ton, the architect of the Cathedral of Christ the Savior in Moscow.
The Cathedral of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary resembles the famous Russian-Byzantine style. It has a three-tiered iconostasis and a bell tower, built in 1875. In the 1930s, a warehouse was arranged in the cathedral, which cast a pall over the paintings. The upper part of the bell tower was destroyed, but now the cathedral and the bell tower have been restored. In the cathedral courtyard you can look at the baptistery of St. Nicholas and the small Church of St. John the Baptist.