The Nizhny Novgorod branch of the State Bank on Bolshaya Pokrovskaya Street is one of the most beautiful buildings in Nizhny Novgorod and the entire Volga region. It was built in 1913 to commemorate the 300th anniversary of the Romanovs' House. The ceiling in the building, for which the neo-Russian style was chosen, was painted by the famous artist Ivan Bilibin.
The last Russian emperor Nikolai II managed to visit the building of the State Bank. His visit to Nizhny Novgorod took place in May 1913. According to a legend, the emperor slipped on the steps of the building. This was taken by the suspicious Nicholas II as a bad sign. After the revolution the building - a rare case - did not change the destination. It remained the representative office of the State Bank in Nizhny Novgorod.