Bolshaya Pokrovskaya Street in Nizhny Novgorod is the main pedestrian and commercial artery of the city. It is also a link between the four main squares: Minin and Pozharsky, Gorky, Lyadov and Teatralnaya. Low-rise buildings give the street a special charm. Here one can buy souvenirs, drink coffee, have a snack in one of the many restaurants. The Nizhny Novgorod State Academic Drama Theater of Gorkiy, the Nizhny Novgorod Academic Puppet Theatre and the Regional Exhibition Center in the former building of the Verkhny Posad Chambers of Commerce are located here. Many monuments and sculptures adorn the street.
Bolshaya Pokrovskaya Street was formed at the end of the 18th century. Previously, this place was Nikolskaya Street named after the church standing here. It was part of a large trading tract that led to Moscow. The radical reconstruction of the street began after the visit by Catherine II to Nizhny Novgorod in 1770. More and more stone buildings started appearing here and the direction of the street changed somewhat. In 1824 the construction of the bell tower of the Church of the Intercession, which faced the street, was completed. Therefore, it was decided to give it a new name. A lot of mansions, in which mainly the Nizhny Novgorod nobility lived, also appeared in the street. The construction work of the Bolshaya Pokrovskaya was going on until the revolution. For example, in 1913 the building of the State Bank appeared on it - one of the most beautiful buildings of the Volga region. In 1922, the street was renamed Sverdlovskaya, in honor of a revolutionary Yakov Sverdlov. In 1930 the Church of the Intercession was demolished. But despite this, in the early 90's the historical name was returned to the street.