The Black Sea Fleet History Museum opened in Sevastopol in 1869 with the support of one of the organizers of the defense system of Sevastopol Eduard Totleben who gave his house to the museum. This mansion was built in the style of ancient temples, and its facade is decorated with cast-iron and bronze "noses" of ships, cores and anchors.
The history of the Black Sea Fleet is revealed in seven halls of the Black Sea Fleet History Museum through mock-ups of ships, a collection of weapons, copies of the uniform of military seamen, photographs and paintings. Among the curious things are the First Naval Regulations of 1763, the compass of the 18th century, the saber of Osman Pasha, personal belongings of admirals Nakhimov and Kornilov as well as the painting of the famous Russian seascapes painter Ivan Aivazovsky, donated by Emperor Alexander II. In the courtyard of the museum guns, shells, mines and rockets of various types are collected.