Amalienau is one of the most beautiful historical districts of Kaliningrad. Here the spirit of East Prussia of the early 20th century was surprisingly preserved. The district is named in honor of Amalia - the wife of Gustav Schnell, who built the first villa here in the middle of the XIX century.
In 1901 in memory of the Prussian Queen Louise, who spent the last years of her life in Koenigsberg, the Lutheran Church Luisenkirche was built here. Since 1976 the Puppet Theater has been operating in the church building. Since the beginning of the XX century and before the First World War the area was built as a low-rise garden city. The streets being buried in verdure do not intersect at a right angle, which is not typical for the Prussian cities. All the houses were designed by one company and had similar features: two floors, attics, circular corridors, many windows. Among themselves the houses differed in the decor elements of the facade in the Art Nouveau style. One of the best examples is Villa Schmidt of 1903 on Prospekt Pobedy, where the kindergarten operates now.