The Alekseev-Akatov Convent on the Voronezh River bank appeared in 1620. The convent was organized at the people’s expense on the outskirts of the city after being rescued from the regular invasion of the Lithuanian-Cherkassy troops. Only seven monks originally lived in the convent. Only the white tent-shaped bell tower, the oldest stone building in Voronezh today, has survived of the 17th century buildings.
A baroque Vvedenskiy temple was built in the 18th century. Only one corner tower has been preserved from the XVIII century wall, while the other two have been reconstructed. The Alexievsky temple in classical style was built in the early 19th century instead of the old church. After closing the Alekseev-Akatov Convent in 1931, all its icons, utensils and books disappeared, and the buildings fell to desolation. Only in 1990 it was decided to open a convent here. Since then, the life in the monastery started to gradually get better. A holy-water chapel, buildings with cells, a refectory and one-storeyed residence of the Metropolitan of the Voronezh Diocese appeared in its territory.