The Church of the Assumption in Voronezh was first mentioned in 1594. A monastery under it arouse in the early 16th century. The future of the temple was determined by Emperor Peter the Great, who founded a dockyard in the neighborhood. The church was called the Admiralty, and the monastery had to be closed, as it hindered the shipbuilders.
The oldest part of the temple is a five-domed cubical-shaped building, built of stone at the beginning of the XVIII century. In the early XIX century, the Admiralty Church of the Assumption got a spectacular three-tiered bell tower and a refectory in the style of classicism. In 1885, thieves took the golden cross of Peter the Great out of the temple, and the remaining values were carried away after the Revolution of 1917. The building was badly damaged during the Second World War. The Church of the Assumption was repaired, and the iconostasis was restored only to the anniversary of the Russian Navy in 1996. The Admiralty Square was opened in the same year beneath, on the riverbank, with a 30-meter rostral column installed on it, as if growing out of a boat. The Admiralty Square regularly hosts concerts and folk festivals over the last years.