Weissenstein Castle has been in ruins for almost as long as it wasused for its intended purpose. Being built in 1240, it often changed owners,until in the middle of the XVII century its new owner built here the quarry. Theauthorities of Pforzheim, who bought what was remained of the castle 200 yearslater, were trying for more than a hundred years to restore the castle ruinsconsiderably damaged at the time of purchase. Now, there is a hostel andrestaurant on the castle territory. They are surrounded by the ruins of thedefensive walls, which were never restored, and by the Black Forest beyond them.