Würzburg cathedral is one of the largest Romanian cathedrals in Germany. It is dedicated to the first bishop of Würzburg, St. Kilian. According to the legend, in the 7th century a group of Irish preachers leaded by Kilian came into the vicinity in order to convert the local population to Christianity. It is considered that it was Kilian who baptized Gosbert, the Duke of Franconia, who later beheaded Kilian following his wife’s order. Relics of the saint are kept in the cathedral.
Würzburg cathedral is one of the most ancient churches preserved in Germany. Its construction began in 1040 and finished after a century and a half. At that time Romanian style was in fashion, Gothic elements appeared in the exterior of the church later. It was in the 18th century that baroque supplements were added to the interior of the church. The local organ is one of the most powerful ones in Germany. Church towers are seen from afar. The height of the cathedral is 105 meters – it is the fourth high Romanian church in Germany. The grave of the cult poet-minnesinger Walter von der Vogelweide is located in the garden behind the cathedral.