It was in Chemnitz that famous Belgian architect and designer Henry van de Velde constructed his first house on the territory of Germany. He received the order from a textile magnate Herbert Eugene Esche in 1902. The first floor of the house is occupied by a living room and a music room, the second – by a bedroom, a nursery and a bathroom. Follower of art nouveau and one of the founders of Bauhaus school not only designed the house and the park but was also engaged in design of furniture, tableware and all elements of interior, including accessories. During the war, command of the Soviet forces used the mansion as their headquarters, while in the 1960s the Chamber of Crafts opened courses here. Since 2001 the villa functions as the museum of Henry van de Velde.