Nuremberg is the first German city where railroad began to operate in 1835. Not surprisingly, the first museum of railways in Germany appeared in the same place. It was founded in 1899. Two years later it was expanded to include a department devoted to the postal service (later Nuremberg’s Museum for Post and Communications emerged from it). The current museum building was built in 1925.
Since 1996, the museum is owned by Deutsche Bahn AG - the main railway company in Germany. Hence the official name - DB Museum, although often referred to as a transport museum. With a view to young visitors, the museum includes many exhibits that allow getting out of the usual role of passengers and try oneself as a driver, switchman and dispatcher for a while.
Here you can admire the luxurious carriages, on which King of Bavaria, Ludwig II and Chancellor Otto von Bismarck travelled. The museum also includes a copy of the Adler locomotive that ran on the first train from Nuremberg to Fürth. In addition to the life-size exhibits, the museum “is proud” of its collection of 160 models in the scale of 1 to 10, created at the end of the XIX century.
The working railroad model is a target of constant interest. It occupies an area of 80s/m. There is a 10-minute demonstration every hour showing the basic principles of organizing the railway communication.