Würzburg town hall is located in the controversy with the town’s main church – their facades face different sides. History of Würzburg is a history of fight for local self-governance. Local bishops always held their power over the town. Würzburg’s dream to become an imperial, and thus a free city never came true. However in 1397 hopes of the townfolk were almost fulfilled. The town was visited by the emperor Wenzeslaus who during a festive dinner promised to give Würzburg the cherished title. However several days later Wenzeslaus took his word back. Disappointed burgers named a tavern in the cellar of the town hall after the light-headed emperor.
Curiously, the tower of the town hall has a name – Altes Rathaus Grafeneckart. This is connected with the story that the local feudal lord, earl Eckart was killed in 1200 at his own doorstep. And as he was a popular man in town, the only tower was called after him. However, according to other sources, the town authorities simply bought the outhouse with the tower from the Eckart family, and then connected both buildings.