The cathedral of St Thomas is the second most important church in Leipzig. It was built in the city's market place in the first half of 13th c. The legend has it that here lie the relics of the apostle Thomas that had reportedly been brought from India by an affluent pilgrim, Heinrich von Morungen.
Morungen, also a Minnesang poet, is thought to have been the founder of the boys' choir that has existed since the cathedral's foundation. Throughout centuries around a hundred of boys perform beautiful pieces of spiritual music. In 18th c, the great Johann Sebastian Bach was the conductor of the Thomanerchor. The Bach's monument stands outside the church, and in 1949 the remains of the musical genius were reinterred in the church ground.
St Thomas's Cathedral is also famous for the fact that in 1539, on Trinity Day, the church reformer Martin Luther served a mass here according to the new, reformed rite.