The monument of the Battle of Peoples in Leipzig commemorated the eponymous famous battle near Leipzig in 1813 when the armed forces of the Prussian, Austrian, Russian and Swedish allies destroyed the great army of Napoleon Bonaparte. The name of the battle reflects the fact that on each side nearly all European nations had been represented. In Napoleon's army there were many Spaniards, Dutch, Italians and Polish soldiers. For the next century, until 1914, the battle was considered the greatest in history.
The 91-metre high monument was built after the sketch by an architect from Berlin, Bruno Schmitz. It occupies the place of Napoleon's headquarters. Near is also a large rock where the French emperor stood and watched the battle.
The monument also has an observation deck that offers a fantastic view of Leipzig, to which lead 500 steps.