In Laboe, on the eastern shore of the Kiel Fjord you can descend into a real German submarine of the World War II. Submarine U995 was constructed in 1942 in Hamburg and launched in September 1943 as a part of the 5th submarine fleet. However it was based in Kiel, where until June 1944 the crew of the submarine received intensive training. Having finished the training, the submarine left for Norwegian Trondheim as a part of the 13th submarine fleet.
The crew of U995 was tasked to attack convoys of the allied forces that were heading to the Soviet Union with arms and ammunition. Since March 1945 the submarine was based in the Norwegian Narvik. During its service period, the crew sunk two trade ships, one Soviet patrol, a mine sweeper and a cutter. At the moment of Germany’s capitulation the submarine was situated in Trondheim awaiting new equipment, and surrendered to British forces. For some time the submarine was listed in the Norwegian fleet, but in 1962 Norwegians returned it to FRG. In 1972 the renovated U995 was turned into a museum.