St. Peter’s Cathedralis one of the three imperial cathedrals in the Rhine Valley. It is alsoconsidered one of the finest examples of the late Romanesque architecture inGermany. The temple with four massive round towers dominates over Worms. The firstsettlements appeared on this hill, which eventually formed the city. Thecathedral’s construction began in the XI century on the site of the Basilica ofthe Franco era and was finished in the XII century, but was later rebuilt in theGothic style in the southern part.
The exterior of St. Peter’s Cathedral in Wormsis richly decorated with sculptures. Of particular interest are the images of animals.During the plague a rat appeared on the wall and architect Philippe Brandtimmortalized a dog on the Southern side during the reconstruction in 1920.According to legend, one day, when the architect was standing in front of thecathedral, a badger-dog tried to bite his leg. He jumped to the side and thusavoided hitting a stone, falling from a height. Inside the cathedral, the workof Balthasar Neumann in the Baroque style draws attention to the high altar.And, of course, it is worth mentioning that that the strife between QueensKriemhild and Brunhild took place at the entrance of the Cathedral of Worms andled to a bloody outcome wrote in the "Song of the Nibelungs".