St. Michael’s Church, built in the early XVI century is known all over Germany. From 1524 to 1529, Martin Luther preached his ideas from its pulpit. So, this Lutheran Church is one of the shrines of Lutheranism. Hundreds of citizens came here to listen to the preaching of the ardent reformer. Now, there is a bronze tombstone in the main hall of the church in the memory of Martin Luther. But this is not Luther’s tomb; his ashes rest in Wittenberg. This is a memorial sign made by the great painter Lucas Cranach the Elder, who accepted Luther's teachings with heart and soul.
The church has a tower with an observation deck. The historic center of Jena is perfectly visible from a height of 80m. The underground passage is also interesting. It was dug through in the XVI century, to connect St. Michael’s Church with the former Cistercian monastery.