St. Mary's Church, or Marienkirche is themost famous and oldest church in Stendal. It is mentioned in the annals in1283, but the first building has not been preserved to this day. The presentchurch in late Gothic was built in 1447. Hanseatic merchants wanted to show theprosperous state of Stendal of those days by the luxurious appearance andinteriors of the church. Two 84-meters high gothic towers can be seen fromafar, it is now one of the symbols of Stendal. Another symbol of the city is theclock of the XVI century, set on one of the towers.
Themain pride of St. Mary’s Church is the bells, cast in 1490 in the Netherlands bya bell founder Gerhard van Wou from Kampen. He is the manufacturer of thefamous "Gloriosa" bell, set on the Erfurt Cathedral. Gerhard van Wouworked hard also for Stendal. The two bells, "Maria" and"Anna" are distinct in considerable dimensions - 1.99 m and 1.58 m indiameter, respectively, as well as in the purity of sound. The high carvedaltar draws attention in the church interior. It was established in 1471 andwas considered in olden times one of the most spectacular altars in the northof Germany.