St Lambert's Basilica is one of Duesseldorf's oldest remaining cathedrals. Its construction started soon after the victory in 1288 of Adolf von Berg over Ziegfried, the Archbishop of Cologne. The citizens of Duesseldorp (which was then the name of the city) helped to fight against Ziegfried, and the grateful count presented them with the status of the city. And an essential attribute of a city at that time was a stone church.
The construction took over 100 years, and in 1394 the cathedral was consecrated, initially to Our Lady. However, such an outspokenly Catholic name didn't go down well with the pious Protestant citizens following the victory in Reformation. In 1805 the cathedral was consecrated once again, this time to St Lambert whose relics are stored within.
Ten years later a fire engulfed the bellfry and was put out thanks to the vigilant passer-by, a carpenter by name of Joseph Wimmer. A lane near the cathedral now carries his name. The spire was restored in haste using wet wood that caused the top of the basicila to go sideways. So it stands to this day, slightly bent, attracting the tourists' attention.